(19 June 2014) – A manifesto signed by the Task Force of Notre Europe – Jacques Delors Institute on the external action of the EU calls on the European political authorities who take office this summer to commit to a strategic rebound in the European engagement at the international level in five domains: external and defence policy, energy, migration, trade and enlargement and neighbourhood policy.
We will be able to contribute to strengthening our place and our role on the international stage only by embracing concrete targets in the short and medium term in five priority projects:
- We must speed up the adoption of mechanisms for the collective management of crises, and check the decline in our military capabilities.
- Our interests in the energy sphere must be coordinated in order to ensure security of supply, which can be enabled by a European energy community.
- We must evince greater solidarity in the struggle against illegal immigration by simultaneously developing a common policy for legal immigration that will allow us to address the challenge of our demographic decline.
- We must also help our businesses to benefit from the growth of the emerging markets and promote our standards in the context of our common trade policy.
- And lastly, we need to adopt a more pro-active stance with our neighbours.