(18 May 2021) – The new rules include more flexible admission conditions, enhanced rights and the possibility to move and work more easily between EU Member States.
The new scheme will introduce the following changes:
• To qualify for an EU Blue Card, the salary threshold will be reduced to between 1 and 1.6 times the average gross annual salary, making it more accessible to more people.
• New rules will facilitate the recognition of professional skills for occupations in the information and communication technologies sector.
• During the first 12 months, EU Blue Card holders need only complete a new labour market test if they wish to change position or employer.
• Highly skilled beneficiaries of international protection will be eligible to apply for an EU Blue Card.
• Family members of EU Blue Card holders will be able to accompany them and access the EU labour market.
• EU Blue Card holders, and their family members, will be able to move to a second Member State after 12 months of employment in the first Member State.