(11 December 2014) – As of 13 December 2014, new EU food labelling rules should insure clearer, more comprehensive and accurate information on food content.
Some of the key changes to the labelling rules are outlined below:
- Improved legibility of information (minimum font size for mandatory information);
- Clearer and harmonised presentation of allergens, including in restaurants and cafes;
- Requirement of certain nutrition information for majority of prepacked processed foods;
- Mandatory origin information for fresh meat from pigs, sheep, goats and poultry;
- List of engineered nanomaterials in the ingredients;
- Clear indication of defrosted products.
However, rules relating to mandatory nutritional labelling for processed food will only apply from 13 December 2016.