(30 November 2015) – Eurostat has just published its flagship publication “People in the EU: who are we and how do we live?”. Its seven chapters provide a detailed picture of the population, families, households and housing, which helps understand the demographic, social and economic situation of those living in the EU.
An infographic and interactive thematic maps are also available on the Eurostat website. The news release contains only a small selection of the wide range of indicators that can be found in the publication, for instance:
- There has been a significant population ageing in the last 20 years
- One third of EU households composed of one person
- More than 40% of those living alone in the EU aged 65 or over
- Almost three quarters of all families in the EU are married couples
- An overwhelming majority of lone parent families are lone mothers