(07 December 2015) – On the occasion of the Vision Europe Summit (Berlin, 17-18 November 2015), eight think tanks and foundations participating to the Vision Europe initiative signed a declaration on “Redesigning European welfare states – time for action”.
The declaration emphasizes the urgency to act now if we are to guarantee viable welfare states in the future. Welfare states are a defining feature of Europe, but reforms will be necessary both at national and at EU-level. The following aspects are seen as crucial and included in the declaration:
1. From risk-sharing to risk-avoidance
2. From welfare state to welfare societies
3. Tackling inequality to create a virtuous cycle
4. Reconcile intergenerational equity with sustainability
5. Tear down obstacles to labour market integration
6. Renew welfare state governance through greater policy integration
7. Clarify the role of the EU and make its actions complementary to national welfare policies
Vision Europe organisations are: Jacques Delors Institute (France), Bertelsmann Stiftung (Germany), Bruegel (Belgium), Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation (Portugal), Chatham House (UK), Compagnia di San Paolo (Italy), The Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra (Finland), and CASE – Center for Social and Economic Research (Poland).