DVI – Development of step-by-step guidelines for participatory Digital Villages Initiative roadmap design and a practical toolkit
Under the ‘1000 Digital Village Initiative (DVI)’ corporate programme, FAO REU will support a holistic digital rural transformation to address important challenges in the agriculture and food production sector and improve the livelihoods of rural communities. The adoption of digital technologies has increasingly been perceived as having the potential to catalyse transformative processes and promote rural development – from improved access to services, to better farm management and decision-making, and increased overall efficiency, agricultural productivity, and profits. The use of digital solutions can also facilitate access to markets, management of risks and uncertainties to easier access to finance and advisory, promote literacy, among other benefits.
This project falls under the purview of AEIDL’s Rural and Territorial Development unit.
AEIDL provided the Team Leader to implement the following activities:
- Formulate draft tools for furthering the understanding of community needs, gaps, local assets, and identification of strategic objectives for the purpose developing DVI roadmaps (e.g. interview guides, focus group guides, workshop exercises, participatory mapping exercises, community visioning exercises, and similar, among others).
- Engage with FAO and stakeholders to develop a common understanding and approach of how to test the tools in Bosnia and Herzegovina, as well as to refine them based on the village specific circumstances.
- Validate and enhance the tools by assisting and guiding the delivery of interviews, focus groups and pilot workshops in one municipality in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Incorporate feedback and implement necessary improvements to the tools identified based on the lessons learned.
- Pilot the revamped tools in one additional country (e.g. Turkey or Georgia) and improved them based on the lessons learned.
- Develop an user-friendly practical Toolkit for DVI Roadmap design on the basis of Activities undertaken under Output 1, including several tools and templates for use of practitioners.
- Prepare the Toolkit for publication and dissemination.